Youth / Teen Resources
Helpful Websites on Substance Abuse
- The Cool Spot - Interactive alcohol education information website for teens
- Teens Drug Abuse - Interactive, informational drug
use / abusewebsite, drug abuse education primarily for teens Grades 5 through 9
- Above the Influence - Interactive, informational drug
use / abuse
Athletes & Alcohol / Drugs
- Drugs 4 Real - Interactive, adolescent information drug and alcohol use, brain effects and coping skills National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) endorsed
- Office of Alcohol and Drug Education - Alcohol and the effects of use on athletic performance - Notre Dame Athletics
- University of Georgia study - On athletic performance in regard to the consumption of alcoholic substances.
- American Athletic Institute website - Outlines athlete substance and abuse and its
Sobriety & Abstinence Group Meetings
- Alcoholics Anonymous - Official website outlining the Alcoholics Anonymous mission of fellowship for men and women to support each other in their goal to stay sober and help others achieve sobriety
Massachusetts Chapter - 617-426-9444
- Narcotics Anonymous - Official website outlining the Narcotics Anonymous mission of fellowship for men and women to support each other in their goal to stay drug-free
- Faulkner Hospital - Addiction Recovery Groups: Early Recovery and Relapse Prevention.
Jamaica Plain - 617-983-7908
Support Groups for Family Members of People Struggling with Substance Abuse
ALANON / ALATEEN Local Group Meetings - Official website outlining the Alanon mission of learning the facts about alcoholism as an illness and how it has impacted their lives physically and emotionally.
Faulkner Hospital - Adult Children of Alcoholic / Self Esteem
Jamaica Plain - 617-983-7908
People to Call if You Need Help
- Massachusetts Substance Abuse Information and Referral Helpline - Referral agency for substance abuse support services: Inpatient, outpatient, and residential programs; along with self-help and family group meeting 1-800-327-5050 or 617-292-5065
- Samaritan's Suicide Prevention Hotline - 617-247-0220
- Rape Crisis Hotline - 1-800-870-5905
- Battered Women's Hotline - 1-800-899-4000
- GLBT National Hotline – 888-843-4564 (Gay. Lesbian, Bisexual
andTransgender) or Healthy Imperatives
Youth Health and Development Websites
- Young Women's Health - Providing education, clinical care, research and health care information for adolescent girls.
- Young Men's Heath - A website for teen guys and young men featuring state-of-the-art health information.
- Youth Adult Development Project - MIT website which shares research about the unique strengths and vulnerabilities of young adulthood.
- The Power of Resilience:
AchieveingBalance, Confidence and Personal Strength in Your Life - Brooks, Robert. (2004). McGraw- Hill NY :
- Smashed: The Story of a Drunken Girlhood - Zailckas, Koren. (2005). Smashed: Story of a New York, NY: Penguin Books
- From Binge to Blackout: A Mother and Son Struggle with Teen Drinking - Volkmann, Chris
andToren. (2006). New York, NY: New American Library
- When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving & Healing - Gootman, Marilyn E. (2005). Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Publishing Inc.
- After Suicide Loss: Coping with your Grief - Baugher, B. & Jordan, J. (2002). Newcastle WA: Self-published.
- Magnificent Mind At Any Age: Treat Anxiety, Depression, Memory Problems, ADD, and Insomnia - Amen, Daniel G. (2008) New York, NY: Harmony Books.
- Understanding the High-Functioning Alcoholic: Professional Views and Personal Insights - Benton, Sarah Allen (2008) Santa Barbara,
CA :Praeger Publishers.