Monday, September 21, 2020:
From the Town of Needham
Town Urges Residents to Take Precautions as West Nile Virus Found in Needham Mosquitos
Needham Public Health has been notified that mosquitoes found in Needham have tested positive for West Nile Virus. As such, the Massachusetts Dept. of Public Health has raised our alert level for West Nile Virus to Moderate.
A risk level of moderate means residents should take extra precautions to protect themselves from mosquito bites.
• Avoid mosquito bites by using an insect repellent with an EPA registered active ingredient such as DEET.
• Limit time outdoors at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
• When venturing outdoors wear long pants and long shirts whenever possible.
• Consider rescheduling activities planned for dawn or dusk for a time when mosquitoes are less active.
• Avoid areas known to have a high mosquito population.
• Remove standing water from around your home.
For more information about West Nile Virus visit www.mass.gov/mosquitoesandticks. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Needham Public Health at 781-455-7940.