Frequently Asked Questions
Needham LED Streetlight Conversion Project Frequently Asked Questions
- What kind of streetlights does Needham currently use?
The majority of streetlights currently used in Needham are High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) lights. High-Pressure sodium lights are most commonly used for street lighting, bulbs cast an amber orange glow and are not as energy efficient as LED 's.
- Is the Town fixing current outages and cycling streetlights prior to the start of the conversion?
As we are preparing for a large-scale LED conversion, only critical areas such as intersections, bends, pedestrian crossings and end of cul-de-sacs are being made a high priority. Repairs for cycling lights will be postponed until the conversion begins. For additional information about outages, please visit this sub-page
- What are LED streetlights?
Light Emitting Diodes (LED) is a light source which emits lights in a focused direction. LED's use light and energy in a more efficient manner and their useful life are significantly longer than HPS lights.
- What color of light are the new LED streetlight fixtures?
LED fixtures in Needham will produce a warm white or almost yellow color.
- How many streetlights is Needham replacing with the LED Streetlight Conversion Project?
This project will replace approximately 2500 cobra-head style street lights throughout Needham.
- Should residents expect any interruptions once the contractor begins working in Needham?
Residents should expect minimal interruptions. Crews will be wearing high-visibility clothing marked with the Dagle Electric logo.
- What are the benefits of the LED conversion project?
- Reduced energy consumption resulting in energy savings and reduced Greenhouse
- Reduced maintenance costs
- What is Needham doing with removed high-pressure sodium streetlights?
The existing High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) streetlights will be recycled in accordance with all federal and state environmental guidelines.
- How long will the project last?
View the anticipated timeline (PDF). View the weekly status update page to see the progress of this project.
- Will the Town install any new street lights with this project?
This conversion project is for existing cobra-head street lights. The Town will review new street light requests at the completion of this project.
- Who is the contact for additional questions about the LED streetlight conversion project?
For more information about the LED Streetlight Conversion Project, please email Carys Lustig, Director of Administration and Finance for Public Services.